Sunday 2 May 2010

THE LUXE, Spitalfields

Food: 8
Atmosphere: 7
Service: 7
Value for Money: 7
Toilets: 6


OVERALL: 7



The Luxe, located on the Commercial Street side of Spitalfields market,was not the first choice for the opening of this blog, but Bistrotheque, also located on London's super hip eastside, happened to be closed...shame I hear nothing but good things...

The Luxe is owned by Master Chef judge John Torode, and having not been wowed like the rest by his Smiths of Smithfields, I was not sure what to expect with his newest venture, but you never know so here we go -->

As I have named myself after the sweet nectar that is Eggs Benedict, I felt this would be the most apt opener. My brunch minion, or as a young hipster would say;'BM', went for the Eggs Florentine.
The place is light, spacious, the tables were comfy and the staff friendly, and cheerful- a good start by all accounts. The style, and layout of the building was true to its original; keeping the feel of an old fire station, and flower shop- a fire flower station shop feel, is how it should be described.
The juices were super fresh, magical and wildly satisfying. The food, well, we could not agree on. For me the Eggs Benedict were the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD, and I have had alot! The two eggs were done to perfection! and the muffin was wonderfully toasted. The Holondaise sauce was perfect, completely faultless, except for the fact that I was left craving more! The spinach in the dear Florentine was fresh and soft. The only let down was that the food should have been warmer. It took a little while to get to the table, even though the restaurant was practically empty, so there was no real excuse for the food to not be piping hot. The service was generally slow throughout the morning, the place felt a little understaffed.
The key feature, and fulcrum between enjoying a dinner, and loving a dinner is of course, the toilets! They are situated in the downstairs club/bar section, and so have a dark club feel to them. Which really clashes with the sunny, yumminess being experienced above ground by me and my fellow brunchers. They should really have invested in another set of poo holes.
The total cost for what the two of us had felt a little overpriced but only £5 more than would be what I would expect to pay.

Overall this was a lovely morning breakfast, the place was not too busy the food was great, the service could have been better, and I look forward to returning when the quest for the best brunch in town has been completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment